How to get your firearms license.

How to get your firearms license.

So you've decided to get your firearms licence, but where do you start? Well that is where we come in.

The first thing that you need to work out is what Firearms Category you are wanting. Category A and B are the most popular. Category A includes rimfire rifles .17 - .22, single or double barrel shotguns, air rifles and paintball guns. 

Category B includes Centrefire Rifles (excludes semi-auto) and lever-action shotguns. Another popular category is Cat H - handguns. 

QLD Firearms Training – Brisbane Firearms Licence Courses Run Regularly in  categories A B H C D M (Crossbows)


Once you have established which category you need it's time to join a gun club. There are a couple of options but it's always best to do your own research to find one that suits your needs. 

Check these clubs out to see if they are right for you:

Hunters and Shooters Society of Australia -  


Shooters Union -




A membership card will be sent to you in the mail after application, you'll need this for the rest of your firearms application. 


After you've joined a club, its time to sign yourself up to a training session to get your Firearm Safety Certificate. This is done with an approved training provider but the courses book up fast so get it quick!

We recommend Warrick Green with Queensland Firearms Training at Belmont, Brisbane Queensland. Click below to check out availabilities. 


QLD Firearms Training – Brisbane Firearms Licence Courses Run Regularly in  categories A B H C D M (Crossbows)


Now that you've got all the essentials in motion, its time to put in your application through Queensland Police. This can be done in person, in your local police station or online. Doing the process online will speed up the ID process, however if you complete it online you'll just need to prove identification within 28 days.

Check out the link below to get started online:

Once approved your licence will be sent in the mail in the next 8-12 weeks so be patient. 


Now that you've received your licence you can apply for a Permit to Acquire or PTA which is the final step you need to complete in order to purchase a firearm. Once the application for you PTA has been submitted through Queensland Police, there will be a 28 day cooling off period.

Hot Tip? Apply for your PTA as soon as you've applied for you firearms licence. Then both your licence and PTA will be sent closer together. 

The PTA process requires you to detail the type and calibre you are applying for. Still not 100% sure which firearm is best for you? Ask us, we can give you the advice you need to get started. You can also apply for multiple PTA's at the same time so once that 28 day cooling off period elapses and you receive your PTA's, you have some options for which firearm to start with. If you don't use all the PTA's before they expire, that's okay. You can reapply later. You'll also need a Firearm Dealers' Licence number and address which we can provide you upon request, to complete your PTA application.


If you're in need of advice on which licenses to apply for or which PTA you need for the firearms to best suit you, come in and have a chat. We are more than happy to help you navigate the process.

You can also check our our website to see what firearms we have in stock right now, and if your after something a little special, reach out. We can help.


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published